Monday, December 03, 2007

Coming to America

Emillie asked me about this question, "What was the hardest in migrating to
the states that wanted me to return to the Philippines."
I guess some of the reasons that would make me go back would be:

1. Getting paid a mediocre salary
2. Having a bomb blow up while shopping - really exciting :)
3. Commuting to and from work while inhaling the smog and pollution in manila.

But all kidding aside, the country is beautiful and the people are
very friendly, there is a lot of history and culture that one can
honestly say is truly good. Migrating to America was more a change in
lifestyle than it was a change in environment for us, while some
people immigrate here truly start from scratch we were fortunate enough that my husband's
cousin and her friends were there to help us get settled in and
provide comfort and help in times of need.

I could truly say that the first three years in the states was hard on
our part as we had to move from one place to another because of the
job market, we had lived in Connecticut for a year and my hubby found
a job in Jersey and initially we wanted to stay where we were but
because we could not see each other only during the weekends when he
would come home, we decided to move down to New Jersey.

I had the opportunity to live with different people and adjust our way
of thinking with regards to being "tough". In the Philippines it is
easy to blame your surroundings for your own lack of progress but
there is no excuse for that here in America, as doors do open but it
will be up to you to take advantage of them.

So going back to that question, what was the hardest thing that I
experienced that made me want to go back to the Philippines?
Loneliness, if I probably had come here without any family or relative
to talk to then I would have returned back home.

Thank you to all the people who have been a part of our lives here in
the states.

No comments: