Sunday, March 16, 2008

Artificial Intelligence

I guess the title will have readers thinking this discussion is about Science Fiction, but this could not be more farther than the truth, I wanted to talk about the slight differences between being smart vs wise.



I had mentioned in my previous blog about my husband, I consider him smart and I consider myself wise, in case you are wondering let me explain a little further. In Filipino parlance "wise" literally means cunning, able to take advantage of a situation when it best presents itself.

Wise on the other hand means that decisions generally made when a problem is encountered amount to the right decision taken, an individual who has a lot of experience dealing with certain situations in his/her life will generally not make the right decision when confronted with the same dilemma or issue.

Smart equates to being highly intelligent, more to the point smart is honed by skills and logical reasoning based on facts that are clearly laid out, as an example a PC runs purely on logic that computations and permutations are large either 0 or 1. If I have a file and I delete it the PC just runs the logic in the most efficient manner and completes the process, but it cannot decide that maybe the file should not be removed.

Based on these I would consider my hubby to be generally well knowledgeable in a lot of things as he can seamlessly carry on a conversation about most things under the sun. He does exhibit the traits of being wise when he is at work because as he puts it " problems come with only the partial glimpses of their true nature, but deciding the course of action to take is harder to do"

I consider myself wise as I have a sense of maturity in making decisions since I was a young adult, granted that some of them may have been wrong, I decide on a course of action merely because it was logically the right thing to do.

A person would like to be both wise and smart, being a wise person means you have come up on a lot of experiences in life and being smart means that you are able to figure out most things.

One hopefully strives for both in their daily lives.

So how bout you do you fall on the smart ones or the wise ones?

7 comments:

leafLet said...

Joy, I wish I could have both but I don't know I haven't given that a thought, maybe I'm far from being smart and wise, haha! let me figure that out. Btw, salamat sa mga comments, you should come to Tampa.

Raft3r said...

para maiba naman ng kaunti, mas nais kong maging street smart...wise yon, diba? hehe

pixie27 said...

Leaflet - wish ko lang I can travel dyan sa Tampa sarap siguro mamasyal dyan...Ganda weather...About sa being smart and wise I think everybody can be smart in my opinion pero not all are wise!.

Raft3r - I think street smart he knows his direction and wise he makes the right decision sometimes, but they don't know everything, so for me parang di pareho ang meaning ng wise sa street smart...don't you think?? So yun ulit sagot ko everybody can be smart but not all are wise.

♥SomethingPurple♥ said...

joy sa pinas iisa lang ang street smart at wais! as in wais lol!

pixie27 said...

Bwahahaha....Wais is manggugulang or nang iisa? Yun ba yun? LOL!

Big Eyed Gal said...

Hahaha! Kung san na napunta ang usapan. Iba naman ang manggugulang. Oportunista din ata yun! LOL!

For me, some can be both. I would prefer to be smart in my younger years (which is right now--naks!!) and wise when I grow older. Para naman may pinagkatandaan ako noh... hindi yung tumatanda nang paurong! Hahaha!

pixie27 said...

Hahaha...Tama yan bigeyedgal kelangan talaga maging wise na habang tumatanda para naman hindi paurong ang mangyari =)